creativity takes courage...

LA LEÇON DE PIANOHenri Matisse
view here


La Leçon de Piano by Henri Matisse
will appear in Sotheby's London 
Impressionist & Modern Art Evening sale on 3 February.  
It has been 90 years since it's last entrance to the market.  

Sotheby's has created a charming short film 
based on the reflections and memories 
from a hypothetical Matisse. 

If you would like to slip into Matisse's world 
and feel inspired, I encourage you 
to watch the film clip below. 




To view on You Tube.. view here
To go behind the scenes 
to see this film come to life... view here

Words to ponder..

"Exactitude is not truth
I do not literally paint a piano
but the emotion it produces upon me.
Seek the strongest colour effect possible...
the content is of no importance
With colour, one obtains an energy
that seems to stem from magic.

It has bothered me all my life
That I do not paint like everybody else,
but...
Creativity takes courage.
Cling to that freshness of vision
which is characteristic of extreme youth
when all the world is new to it.

I slowly discovered the secret of my art.
What it its?
Well...
Would it not be best...
to leave room to mystery?"

I feel inspired...how about you?

The Parakeet and the Mermaid
Henri Matisse, 1952
view here

If you are feeling the urge 
to grab a pair of scissors
and 
 a bundle of bright colourful paper.. 
you might like to read about 
Matisse's technique here

Happy Creating!

Comments

  1. Beautiful thought provoking post. Thank you

    Outside his art, what amazes me about Matisse may sound weird. He lived on this planet when I'm living on this planet, passing away when I was 7 years. I could have met him had I had the means to do that. Mind boggling. Then I think, Alexander Calder was living when I could have on my own written to him or even met him. Instead, I read a book and looked at pictures.

    Creativity does take courage. And some of that courage can be used to reach out to a favorite artist that's living to send a nice letter or see a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thought Maywyn and now you have me thinking of all the artists I would love to reach out to just to say thank you. This could take a while...;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post, Jeanne, otherwise I would probably would never have had the opportunity to see The Piano Lesson. I love Matisse! I have to have a lot of color in my life and Matisse's color provides a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Judy..it hit a chord with me as soon as I viewed it. You know how one thing leads to another and here I am totally immersed in Matisse's colours. Not a bad world to be living in! All the best to you Judy. :)

      Delete
    2. Yesterday, while dusting and rearranging my wall of bookshelves in the LR, I unearthed my copy of Matisse's "The Early Years in Nice" ..... well, you probably know what was in the book. Maybe I should dust, rearrange, and weed out more often. LOL

      Delete
  3. I loe Matisse and this video definitely has me inspired. Sadly my talents do not lay in the arts so I guess I will have to bake something! Have a wonderful day back with Mr. H and Tika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect remedy to me Elizabeth, something you do so well! Happy Baking Elizabeth! :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Jeanne. And the video is equally beautiful. Thank you for sharing and passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to inspire me Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I love about much of Matisse's work is his love of and sensitivity to textiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have been kindred spirits Linda...colour and texture....a gift. ;)

      Delete
  7. Yes, creativity takes courage. Thank you Matisse for having courage and for sharing it with us.
    Thanks, Jeanne. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Carole…I had a feeling this might resonate with you. ;)

      Delete
  8. I like the vibrant colors of Matisse. Also his cutouts.
    Yes. "Creativity takes courage", to follow your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a number of exhibitions of Matisse's work, but the one that stands out is one at the Tate Modern year before last that focused on his cut-outs -- so exuberant, even more impressive for the fact that he was essentially bed-ridden during the period when he created these. Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen that exhibit Frances. The Tate Modern always has wonderful exhibits. Two that stand out for me are Paul Gaugin and Gerhard Richter…both unforgettable. Thanks for the memories. There have been quite a few today, between your post and mine. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts