Three Moves and a .....

On Monday, lounging at  Hong Kong airport…

Dear Friends,

What a week, it's hard to believe all that has happened in the past few days. On the first day of November, I posted on Instagram ..

Hello, November.
Surprise me.

 I had a feeling when I posted it that I should be careful what I wish for..and I was right.

From Vietnam..on Monday

On Monday, a view to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

On Monday morning I said goodbye to Mr. H. I was restless about this departure. It's always hard to say goodbye when you know it will be weeks and months before you see each other again. We have been here many times over the years. Except this time it is different. In the past we have said goodbye as he moved ahead of us to the next assignment. Sometimes for a few months and the longest for a year. Instead, I am the one who is coming and going. With that thought in mind I settled into my flight, weary and a bit nervous about what lay ahead.

 To the Hill Cabin..on Monday

On Tuesday…view from the Hill Cabin,  New Hampshire 

Twenty four hours later, on Monday evening (Eastern Standard Time) I arrived into Logan airport (Boston)..which was actually Tuesday morning in Vietnam. I love gaining a day when I travel stateside. Some of you may remember the cabin we rented last summer. It is a five minute drive from Tahilla Farm and seemed the most sensible place to park myself while settling into the move. Plus…I was desperate to see that beautiful view one more time. I rented the cabin for three nights but was so excited by the move and what I saw at Tahilla Farm that I packed my bags a day early and decided to sleep amidst the boxes.

To Tahilla Farm..on Wednesday

On Wednesday..views from Tahilla Farm, New Hampshire

I am happy to report that my mission is accomplished…the boxes are in and the packing paper is flying out of them as quickly as my little hands can move. I give myself an A+ for my adeptness with a case cutter. I haven't cut myself once…yet.  I decided to go solo on the move and I am glad I did. If anyone was trailing behind me as I move from one area to the next they would be banging their head against the wall. I should finish one room at a time but I don't and that's OK with me.  I see the method in my madness and that is all that matters. Right?

On Thursday, first morning views, Tahilla Farm.

I am taking it all in slowly and enjoying every aspect and angle, inside and out. Happy with the end result does not begin to describe it…ecstatic is more like it. When I finally get my head out of the boxes and into photo taking mode, I will update the Tahilla Farm story with a few more pics.

Yet, through all these days moving from one side of the world to the other, up a mountain and down a mountain, I have had a heavy heart...

On Saturday, the power of one, a keepsake flower.

A farewell…on Friday and Saturday

You might be wondering why I would include a funeral in this post. Sadly, I received news last Sunday that my uncle passed away. In his early 70's, we would have expected that he had many years ahead of him but God had other plans.

I had not seem my uncle for nearly15 years, we travelled different paths, mine the farthest. I heard tidbits of news about him but was never certain of the particulars. Living so far away, for so many years often puts you at odds with the dynamics of the family circle. You are in but you are out and just when you think you have connected again, you are on the move and into the world of disconnect.

I should preface that my family is catholic, of Irish heritage and hails from Boston. This can be a fairly intense combination especially in the context of a wake, a church service and the gathering that follows.     I had one thought throughout the service, that my uncle would have been happy to know that so many came together to remember him. When I was growing up, he was the 'cool uncle'. If you are familiar with the TV show 'Gidget'…to me, my uncle was the 'Moondoggie' of my world. Handsome, charismatic, sporty and a lot of fun, we all gravitated to him when he was around. He loved being with family and bringing them together. His interest in me was genuine and always appreciated. When he married we were even more excited to be a part of his wedding, Moondoggie had found his Gidget. His life story went in many different directions after that, some happy, some sad…as life is. We lost touch, I found my own Moondoggie and went onward and forwards.

If an outsider observed the ceremonies this weekend to celebrate his life they might have wondered what was going on. There was hugging, chatter, laughter and tears.  For me, it was especially bittersweet to walk into a room and see so many faces that I had not seen in many years, ones I thought I might never see again. We all connected with memories and stories. It was surreal, to think that it took a funeral to bring us together, one we would never wish for but if it had to be, it was as he would have liked it. Family and friends together, remembering and talking with laughter and tears. We celebrated his life. He was loved and will always be remembered.

My Uncle Tom
(my original Moondoggie)
Always in our hearts….

One week down in the month of November…
I am hoping for a rest on the 'surprise' factor. 
I think that'll do me for the month. 

Sending you best wishes
 for a wonderful week.
As always,
 thank you for reading along!

Jeanne xx

Popular Posts