The Story of Buddha...at Tahilla Farm






Pam in New Hampshire asked me about the story behind the large Buddha wood carving that used to hang in our entry at Chateau Mango in Vietnam. I have been meaning to write about it and thought now is as good as time as any.

The shop around the corner..
It all started in a shop around the corner from where we live in Ho Chi Minh City. It was early days, maybe a week or two after moving to our new house that I stumbled upon this shop. In fact, what drew me in was the statue sitting on the center of the table. I had seem something similar in a local museum and thought it might be a nice starter to our Chateau Mango collection. Of course, I couldn't help but notice the wood carving of the Buddha behind it...and I adored it but at 8' tall and 200 lbs I thought it might be one of those things that I would come to regret purchasing. So I left the store...empty handed.

Over the next month, I went in and out of the shop...in a state of ' do I or don't I?". In case you guessed, I am not very good with on the spot decisions...especially big ones. A month later I took Mr. H along for his thoughts...and he loved it. That did it, we bought it...size and weight would be a problem for another day. 

That day started one day later when three men delivered it and started chatting, measuring and scratching their heads on the best way to hang this more than life size piece of art. Lucky for them they only had to hang it two feet off the ground.

"Maybe if we..."

Mission accomplished, we placed it in our entry. 
For four years, Buddha welcomed us home in Vietnam.

Happy Buddha...hanging Chateau Mango, Vietnam

Buddha and Tahilla
I would like to mention that at the time of purchase, Tahilla Farm, our antique/new farmhouse in the woods of New Hampshire was just a smidge of a notion. I had yet to start my official house hunt when I bought this piece of art. The house hunt came two months later.

When I found Tahilla Farm I knew that Buddha would never see the light of day there...unless...we renovated.. and fortunately we did. When it came time to put ideas to paper with the architect I had one request...we had to allow a spot for this piece of art. We decided that the entrance was it's best shot and we 'drew it in'.



When our containers arrived this summer...Buddha was the one item I was most excited to see. It's time had come. Our construction crew had been hearing about "the big one" for over a year. Once it arrived I started to worry... that it might not work, that if might fall, I had all but given up the notion of hanging it. Then I realized...these were builders, they built our house. Surely they could handle a 200 pound wooden piece of art. I felt so much better once that clicked in my worrisome mind.

First they measured....
and I watched...nervously.





Then they measured again and 
brought in reinforcements
and I watched...
a tad less nervously.




And then they did it. 
Our Vietnamese Buddha 
had oficially found it's way home.
to Tahilla Farm.




Buddha greets one and all as soon as they enter
just as it did at Chateau Mango.
Peace reigns once again.


And that's the story of our Buddha
and its journey from Vietnam
to Tahilla Farm in the woods
of New Hampshire.


With peace in my heart
Peace in my soul
Wherever I'm going
I'm already home.

Lyrics 'Living in the Moment' 
by Jason Mraz

For you..something to brighten your day. 
I hope you have a spectacular one!





Thank you for reading along!

Jeanne xx



Comments

  1. Hi Jeanne, Best wishes with your writing challenge, I am looking forward to following along, it has been a long time since I have created a blog post myself as we have been living the ex-pat life too. I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey, out last assignment was Bangkok, where we were very lucky to have been able to see a lot of Asia and Vietnam was one of my favorites. I adore your Buddha and think it is perfectly placed at Tahilla farm. We also returned with Buddha (my birthday Buddha, actually). Which stands in our entryway, to welcome guests and also to let them know that our home is a place of peace and tranquillity. One thing Asia taught us was to slow down, reflect and be thankful of the most important things we have in our lives. My favorite quote is "wherever you stand, be the soul of that place". We miss our time there, so I am very happy to be following along and see where you stand next. I must also thank you for all the information in your expat diary, it was invaluable for our trips to Vietnam and Cambodia. Best wishes, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I am so excited to hear that you found the information in my expat diary helpful! Thank you for your kinds words, it is always fun to find another expat traveller, past or present. It is an experience like no other...often times, more than words can say. Looks like we both have found Buddha to be helpful in translating the journey. Thanks so much for following along. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including the story of Buddha. Buddha looks fantastic there...and brings a calming presence to your foyer. Being a fairly new reader, I still have a lot of catching up to do on past posts...and am looking forward to all the upcoming posts...and your next country move! Enjoy your day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnamae, I am slow glad you are reading along and following the journey...more on the next move coming soon. ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy Home Buddha! He's in a lovely place.
    The Mraz video is perfect and enjoyable fit for the post. I kept thinking of the Buddha going by the screen.
    Wishing you a creative surge on your 30/60 challenge
    When I brainstorm blog ideas, one will crowd out the rest like a pet dog the moment you think of fixing something to eat. Its good to be reminded of the writing focus of blogging.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your analogy May! I have to remember that one! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am so excited for your 30/60 challenge! I love your writing and have been a faithful reader for the last 7 years! I found you in England and have followed along ever since, and as I have said numerous times, it was your blog that inspired me to hit the publish button on my own blog which I had set up the year before and wrote posts that I never published.

    I cannot wait to see your photos and adventures to London with Mr. H as well as what you get up to in Australia and back at the farm. I am sure that Tika is missing her mama.

    Have a wonderful day Jeanne, thank you again for sharing your beautiful writings, photos and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure Elizabeth, an absolute pleasure! xx

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of this challenge. I have become so complacent with my blog. Every day I promise myself I will write and every day I break my own promise. Time to pull my socks up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent!! It's so interesting to see how the things you have gathered in your journey continue to fit in "just right" in this new destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Webb...it's often a challenge (like when you come home to a 200 lb. hippo at your door) but then you find the gems...and it just feels right. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh you are so brave!! I never set any goals like that for fear something will happen! Love the Buddha with the simple light fixture! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I love your challenges -more to look forward to from you.
    Buddha looks wonderfully at home in Tahilla blessing the house from on high.
    I guess you've had yourLondon visit and were probably fully occupied throughout but if on any future visit you had time for a coffee and to put a face to a name..... I would love to Saudi hello in person!
    Ceri x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceri....London is still to happen..stay tuned! ;)

      Delete
  9. Hooray! I love it when you do a blog challenge, we get lots of posts:).

    And moving again? I'm dying to know where!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you're going to make me look sooooo bad. I'm way behind myself!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already a day or two Pamela...LIFE! Just when you think you are onto something good...bam! ;)

      Delete
  11. Quite an ambitious goal you have set for yourself, but one that you will attain considering all that will be happening in your life over the next couple of months. There will be plenty in each place you are to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good start with your writing challenge.
    Mission accomplished with the Buddha. Congratulations.
    Thank you for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good start with your writing challenge.
    Mission accomplished for the Buddha. Congratulations.
    Thank you for LOVE video.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts