Books: Adventures of a Curious Woman


Author Alice Stenbach introduced me 
to the joy of travel writing. 
 Her writing style is engaging and 
fills you with a sense of wonder. 
The following book reviews are from
 www. randomhouse.com and will 
provide you with a good insight into her books.


about this book



"In many ways, I was an independent woman," writes Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Alice Steinbach. “For years I’d made my own choices, paid my own bills, shoveled my own snow.” But somehow she had become dependent in quite another way. “I had fallen into the habit of defining myself in terms of who I was to other people and what they expected of me.” But who was she away from the people and things that defined her? In this exquisite book, Steinbach searches for the answer to this question in some of the most beautiful and exciting places in the world: Paris, where she finds a soul mate; Oxford, where she takes a course on the English village; Milan, where she befriends a young woman about to be married. Beautifully illustrated with postcards from Steinbach’s journeys, this revealing and witty book transports you into a fascinating inner and outer journey, an unforgettable voyage of discovery."



about this book




"This funny and tender book combines three of Alice Steinbach’s greatest passions: learning, traveling, and writing. After chronicling her European journey of self-discovery in Without Reservations, this Pulitzer Prize—winning columnist for the Baltimore Sun quit her job and left home again. This time she roamed the world, taking lessons and courses in such things as French cooking in Paris, Border collie training in Scotland, traditional Japanese arts in Kyoto, and architecture and art in Havana. With warmth and wit, Steinbach guides us through the pleasures and perils of discovering how to be a student again. She also learns the true value of this second chance at educating herself: the opportunity to connect with and learn from the people she meets along the way."
Images via

Comments

  1. Great banner jeanne.
    I would really like to know more about the aborigene.
    Congrats for the great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly wonderful blog you have. I have so much enjoyed reading about Alice Steinbach. How could I have not read her before? Off to the bookstore for me! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Meredith xo.
    p.s. Jo Malone is all I wear...currently loving Lime, Basil & Mandarin...also loving a cheeky Sav Blanc. Lovely to meet you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 of my absolutely favourite books Jeanne! Just came to your blog via Vicki A. - so much here to devour. Will be back for a slow wander through very soon.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts