I have not been to Paris since the 70's and I cannot speak french.
I am thinking of a trip to Paris in January.
Am I crazy?
A long weekend with my daughter, a last hurrah
before she heads off to her first year of University.
My thinking is to take the Eurostar from London
and keep everything as simple as possible.
I have had a few suggestions...
- From Evelyn: "www.carondebeaumarchais.com This hotel is perfect. It is so divine (so beautiful) and the owners are like family. Check out the website. The location is brilliant in the Marais - my favourite!!!I walk everywhere from here."
- How to Enjoy Paris in Winter | eHow.com
From David: "www.paris-walks.com has excellent walking tours of various neighborhoods. Lots of fun, highly regarded."....and more from David....
- Check out the Musee National Picasso Paris Museum, and the Musee Marmontan Monet.
- Go to the Samantha Brown travel channel website and click on her Paris weekend site.
- For an inexpensive but nice hotel, try the Grand Hotel Leveque. It's in the middle of a pedestrian street market, 100 metres from the . Walking distance to metro.
- Musee de Orsay has the best impressionist art collection, and is small enough to do in 1-2 hours.
- Walk along the Blvd St Germain in the 6th district for the best shopping. Lots of little side streets and restaurants. From there walk to Shakespeare and Company. book store, across from Notre Dame, also worth a visit. Also good shopping on Rue Mouffetard, another good market.
- is a beautiful walk.
- Explore the 5th and 6th districts as much as possible, lots of fun stuff going on. Use the Metro!! It is safe, clean and efficient.
- These bike tours are a ton of fun, I do one every time I'm in . http://fattirebiketours.com/paris/tours
Home from Paris....
Love is in the air in Paris...
Looking at the Louvre...Thinking of Julia Childs...
Weekend thoughts on Paris...