Magic Carpet Ride and 'The Housewife'

Sending you wishes for a Happy Weekend with a little story......

I can't say I am an expert on oriental rugs, except that I love them, in all shapes, colours and sizes.
But...what we don't need at the moment is more rugs. We have a few rolled up waiting in storage for our next move in the hopes that we will have rooms big enough to fit them all. When Mr. H suggests that we should probably think about downsizing now that the the kids are off to college and Vietnam is in our future, he gets 'the look'. The one that my kids really don't like, the one that says "HELLO! Are you from another planet?" I admit it, I am in downsizing denial...but I will save that topic for another day.


When we were travelling through India last month, our guide asked if we were interested in rugs. Antennas up, I thought...it wouldn't hurt to look. That was my first mistake. Upon arrival we were graciously welcomed by a very chatty fellow and taken into the world of rug making...by hand.  Our gracious host then went on to tell us all about each carpet, where it was made, how it was made, who made it..... the sales pitch was well and truly underway. Let's just say I now have a fine appreciation for handmade rugs. The skill and time that is required is beyond what I could have ever imagined.



Our tour ended in what I refer to as Aladdin's cave.  Mr. H and I sat side by side, he with his Chai tea...me with my bottle of Kingfisher beer (it was a hot day)....and then it began. It was as if carpets were flying in mid-air. What appeared to be an army of men descended upon us, rolling out one after another of beautiful rugs. I was expecting a magic oil lamp to appear at any moment. Mr. H sat nervously sipping his tea...as I enjoyed the cool crisp sensation of my beer. At this point, I was thinking...maybe we could use another rug..... I was mentally moving rugs from room to room in our house.



It was then that my euphoric state was broken. Our host was telling us about his most popular rug, 'The Housewife'. Mr. H sat silently, Mrs. H could feel that cool beer in her hand warming by the second. The eyebrows arched...'the look' was upon our host. 'The Housewife? I asked, why would you call a rug 'The Housewife?' I was thinking... so now I am a rug! He obviously did not have a House Minister in his life! More on the story behind the House Minister here.

It sounded incredulous to me.....'the look' was taking on new proportions. Sensing my confusion, he quickly went on to explain that this particular rug was his best seller, it was just the right size, it could easily fit in a hallway, an entryway, a library, a study, in front of the hearth....it was the perfect travel rug. Ok, I admit, he got me on the 'perfect travel' rug. My hard stare turned to reflection. I was thinking of my state of 'downsizing denial' and that actually....this size rug would come in handy. Maybe I could let go of one for two. I had the perfect spot and Mr. H knew what was coming next. I could see the relief on our hosts face.

Mr H and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary...25 years of wedded bliss and wouldn't it be nice to have a 'his and hers'. I popped off my shoes and had a wander over the rugs...dreamy is all I can say. The House Minister Esq....was sold. He picked his favourite and I picked mine.

On our doorstep in England this week, a package from India...his and hers. 'His' is in the master bedroom and 'Hers' is before me, in the study. Every time, I walk upon them, I think of 'The Housewife' and India...a story to a rug.



Mr. H on the left, Mrs. H on the right...mine is a bit bigger, 
after all I am the House Minister....Esq.... :)

Happy Days my friends...best wishes wherever you are!

Comments

Popular Posts