Doing the Loopty Loop...in England



Fifteen days and counting...
I am organising my life and that seems
to be reaching into every corner of it at the moment.
So..while I pack, shuffle and hyperventilate,
I hope you don't mind if I treat you to some of my favourite
posts. Ones that I wrote whilst finding my way around England.

Some of you are aware that I have another blog, devoted to my time in England.
I sort of hang out in both places. I try not to duplicate stories and I have been
pretty good at it so far....but there are some, I just love to visit again and again
...this is one of them. Thank you for letting me retell my story and for those
of you who have read this before...thank you, thank you, 
thank you for coming back again. :)

May 26, 2011...

 If you were with me today,
we would have stopped in at Isabella Plantation
in Richmond Park, London.


It is just as well that you were not with me as 
I got lost....and did the loopty loop several times
around the 8 mile perimeter drive.
That happens to me a lot. :)

It really wouldn't have mattered 
because Richmond Park is a site to behold, 
with
50 ponds
550 acres of woodland
11 gates (I now know them well)
Seven car parks (know them by heart)
20 mph speed limit (oops)
Two 18-hole golf courses
Four rugby pitches

and...

650 deer
150,000 trees
1,350 species of beetle
750 species of butterfly and moth
450 species of plants and ferns
400 species of fungi
130 species of bees and wasps
119 species of birds
and two Shire horses ( I thought the same thing)

I eventually found my way :)


Isabella Plantation dates back to 1637
and is filled with many of the specimens listed above.
In bloom at Isabella Plantation throughout the year...
Spring: camellias, magnolias, daffodils, bluebells
azaleas and rhododendrons.
Summer: Japanese irises, day lilies, candelabra primula,
flowering straz trees and fragrant magnolia.
Autumn:  Fothergilla, Japanese acersa and tupelo trees are ablaze in colour.
Winter: Witch Hazel, Mahonia and Rhododendrons 'Christmas Cheer' 
are in bloom with early camellias.

With this knowledge, I embarked on a stroll, with friends, around the Plantation. 
My only regret was that I was doing it midday, not the best light for this amateur photographer.
Alas, I persevered, knowing that I could come back, on my own,
when the timing and lighting would be just right.





 We passed thru the gates, in and out again



and then a thought crossed my mind...


Is it possible that Philip Treacy drew his inspiration 
for Princess Beatrice's hat from Isabella? 
(Imagine the gate photo upside down.)

With that thought in mind, you and I would have left for
 Pembroke Lodge to have a coffee.



 We would have admired a spectacular view and 
would be happy to spend several hours doing so.

The only problem with me is that I am easily distracted.
While my friends were looking out, I was zooming in.
How could I resist?


I so admired this woman below...she had great sensibilities.
Hat, portable chair and a bag filled with
plenty to keep her occupied.


Ah well, there is always next time.
I am bringing my hat, chair and carry all.
Care to join me?



Isabella Plantation photos~jeanne
Princess Beatrice, here.
Information on park

Best wishes to one and all for a lovely weekend.
Jeanne xx



Comments

  1. Jeanne,

    I was wondering how the move was coming along. I am sure these last days will speed along because you have so much to do. What about your girls? Are they leaving when you do! Will you all have some time to relax and enjoy one another and the city before you go?

    Take care Jeanne, it will all get done and all be fine. Thinking of you and sending you a big hug as you move onto your next adventure.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanne I feel your fluster - SO much to do and so little time. Lovely idea re-visiting older posts - no need to apologise - great reading. Happy packing and keep breathing! F x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of revisting older posts during this transition phase--especially for us newbies! :)

    I too have been thinking of you--know that there are many of us undoubtedly that are and will continue sending you good energy for the move!!

    Bisous,
    H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cycling round Richmond Park. Haven't been for a while but will make a point of going this summer - with a picnic. And I like the idea of revisiting older posts - I've never done it but am very busy with work at the moment so it's a brilliant idea! Thank you. Hope all your packing & shuffling goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There so many beautiful parks in England and this is one of them - stunning photos and the gates are so lovely - I love the comparison with the hat!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing to think of entertaining us with only 15 days to go! I just love the image of you looping Richmond Park several times - there are worse places to be lost!
    Happy packing Jeanne
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jeanne for reposting. Since I am new to this blog of yours I hadn't read this one. Beautiful! I don't envy your packing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, fifteen days left. You must be very busy and excited too? Richmond Park and Pembroke Lodge seems very beautiful and fun to visit. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much left to do, I'm sure, that you are doubly generous to share your time with us. I hate that you are leaving England, but cannot wait to see Vietnam thru your eyes. It will be an adventure, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne, I think Webb has said it best. Being treated to England through you eyes has been a treat, I look forward to touring Vietnam with you. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sort, sort, sort, pack, pack, pack......no wonder you needed a little break! Back to work though dear Jeanne....your next adventure awaits you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isabella Plantation--must put that on my bucket list. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm sure the last two weeks are fraught with anticipation and a little frenzied. I found you as you were making your way to England, and now am so excited to see the next part of your journey. Best of luck and much love to you. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts