27 January 2010

Looking at the Louvre

My last visit to Paris was in 1978. I was the same age as my daughter (19) but have to say my trip had a different focus. I was not with my mother but with 50 other American students and we had one thing on our mind as we travelled around Europe and I have the photos to prove it. There is one photo of baby bottles filled with wine...need I say more?? Many years on I have a different agenda (one should hope so) which makes this visit to Paris so exciting. Fortunately for me my daughter enjoys art history and had a list of paintings she was keen to see at the Louvre. I did not mention my expectations at the same age when I visited Paris all those years ago. Off we went and as you would expect it was just spectacular. We just spent a few hours...leaving more for our next visit.

I love this photo, it is so intriguing....everything a museum should be.



The shapes and contrasts to this entrance are wonderful.

My angel wings again...just had to take it.

Apologies as  I had photographed the description of the paintings but in my editing I manage to mix them all up. There are over 35,000 pieces of art in the Louvre, imagine if that happened to them! I only have six!








I am always in awe of the grace, form and colour in these paintings...so rich!

God bless her...her work was equally as beautiful.



I could relate...my mother always told me that my nose was a sign
of french aristocracy and I have used that line ever since!



I seem to be drawn to windows at museums...wondering how it must have been.




Yes, I know, I think I took more exterior photos than interior. I was in that kind of mood.
Something about those grey skies.


I was imagining tapping this fellow on the shoulder.

Our morning at the Louvre was a success on all fronts. We can only look forward to more the next time. I also wondered what the view would be like from the windows on the other side :)
 From there we moved on to Saint Chapelle and Notre Dame.
But more on that later.....

Images taken by me at 
Musee du Louvre
January 2010

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning... And love the views from the windows especially.
    SE x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeanne - love all your gorgeous photos - the first one really does encompass everything about a visit to a museum for me...so glad you had a wonderful trip; have been enjoying reading all about it but comments have been a bit few & far between as we gear up for the Heathrow run at an ungodly hour tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing more (Laduree looked wonderful - their tea is divine...did you try their special blend?) Incidentally we found a great Thai restaurant in Guildford yesterday - will send you details if you like Thai..! Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Gorgeous - there IS something about those skies, isn't there ... you can post 1000 photos of Paris and I promise we will love them all! And as for that bust, YOU, my dear, are a thousand times prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jeanne,

    Great Photos,Post(s) and Blog - Paris, Paris, Paris - I pop over now and then...
    France - Can change you forever...

    "Tavarua"

    ReplyDelete

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

BROWN PAPER BOOK CLUB @ Collage of Life