Sentimental in Surrey



She sits in her favourite comfy chair, with her daughters around her, for their annual Christmas movie night. Time seems to have slipped by so quickly, so frantically...these past few weeks. It is nice to 'just be'..if only for tonight. I am especially contented tonight for having spent the day in London and best of all to have spent it over a long lunch with a very dear friend. Mr. H calls her my 'oldest friend'...a phrase that she and I are aghast over. We like to say that it the longest lasting friendship of our lives. We met when we were 14 year old. She was the 'new girl' in school. I recall seeing her in the distance in the coolest pair of purple bell bottom pants I had ever seen. I knew at that moment we were destined to be friends. It has been a friendship that has lasted 40 years and today we laughed, giggled and cried...just as we did all those years ago. I think I just had one of the best Christmas presents ever..in fact, I know that I did!

Speaking of Christmas...I came across this porcelain figurine in a shop window in Dresden earlier in the week. It is the sweetest little thing....with a very dear price tag (Euros). No surprise as it is the very finest, a Meissen, entitled Girl with Skates .  It reminds me of my daughters...sentimental fool that I am.

Speaking of sentimental... you can see twinkling lights and raindrops falling over Sloane Square, here and view the exquisite jewellery designs of Pippa Small, here.

Ahh... sentimental thoughts of friendship, Christmas, twinkling lights and raindrops on this Friday night in Surrey with one of our annual Christmas favourites... Holiday starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. You can enjoy the scene below, here. :)




Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant in 'Holiday'
Image from here.


Sending you best wishes for a lovely Holiday!
Jeanne xx


Comments

  1. A dreamy post! Meeting with life long friends is the best. Laughter, tears, nothing can replace those moments.
    Have a wonderful Christmas holiday!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,

    Your are so right, what a perfect Christmas gift, the friendship of 40 years! Wow! That sounds like a beautiful friendship and a beautiful day.

    I am so happy to hear that both of your daughters are home with you enjoying time with the family. I was worried when I heard about the earthquake in Christchurch, I hope that all the people you know are ok and safe.

    Take care and enjoy a beautiful family filled holiday. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks Di!

    Hi Elizabeth...yes, my daughter is home with us in England. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Jeanne!

    Warmly wishing you many Christmas blessings!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now I have my daughter hooked on "Downtown Abbey"! I'll have to put your movies in our queue...especially that romantic comedy with Colin Firth (swoon). I just watched a really cute movie with Mr. Firth called "My life so Far" about an Irish family. Enjoy your girl time...how wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip Sarah, I have missed 'My Life so Far'..how could that have happened! So glad your daughter is enjoying Downton Abbey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Jeanne - lovely post must check out that film.

    Wishing you and family a very merry Xmas.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Days like this is what life is about. I wish you many days like today in 2012.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. May the Christmas Season continue to bring you much joy Jeanne. Thank you so much for another year of wonderful bloggie friendship. I truly value all that you bring into my life, even if I do need to put the thinking music on for a while after one of your thought-provoking posts. See you in 2012.
    Love Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful Christmas Jeanne... xv

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life long friends are the best - but so are relatively new blogging friends:-)

    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes...long friendships...very special indeed. Part of what makes Christmas Christmas.
    The lights of London during the holidays...makes me very nostalgic for England.
    Happy Christmas Jeanne...enjoy your last Christmas in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect celebration of all that is warm and happy about Christmas. Good friends, family, home, meaningful gifts, and joy. Have a beautiful Christmas, Jeanne.
    Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you, most fondly, on this Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you, I have 40 year friendships and time with them is simply the best! To be able to laugh with someone you have "history" with is just wonderful. The porcelain is remarkable and again like you, I have some that remind me of my children. Sentimentality is like wearing your heart on your sleeve for a moment and I love that. Today with my family and you with yours, is time spent immeasurably well. Merry Christmas, Jeanne and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jeanne. Thankyou for all the depth you have added to my life this year. You truly are my Fairy Blogmother! Wishing you love-filled days with your dearest ones. J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Francisca....

    I love the movie Holiday too. Have you seen The Bishop's Wife - also with Cary Grant ? A great classic Xmas movie too.
    Nothing beats super vintage movies and a moment with real friends !
    Thank you for this story full of life and emotion.
    Francisca Mattéoli www.franciscamatteoli.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas everyone....best wishes and many thanks for your lovely comments...as always.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts