Home Is Where the Heart Is



I am feeling very nostalgic at the moment. My house is in the process of being packed up to move and one can not help but to sit back and reflect.  My guess is that most readers will understand the connection that you personally develop with a home. It doesn't matter what size or where it is located...we make it what it is. The following passage is from Daily OM. I receive them everyday and enjoy what they have to say. Often time they are the 'pick me up' that I need to start the day. This particular one is a keeper.  The last sentence sums it up perfectly 'you know you have found your home when both your physical environment and energetic surroundings are in harmony with the individual you are within'.
When I start to feel a bit overwhelmed by it all I find this a comforting thought. The life of an expat has its challenges and reality checks are neverending. I read something like this and look forward to the possibilities before me, remembering that 'home is a feeling you carry, inside yourself, wherever you are'.

Wherever You Are
Home Is Where the Heart Is
The word "home" has a wide variety of connotations. To some, home is merely a place where basic needs are addressed. To others, home is the foundation from which they draw their strength and tranquility. Still, others view home as a place inexorably linked to family. Yet all these definitions of home imply somewhere we can be ourselves and are totally accepted. There, we feel safe enough to let down our guard, peaceful enough to really relax, and loved enough to want to return day after day. However, these qualities need not be linked to a single space or any space at all. Home is where the heart is and can be the locale you live in, a community you once lived in, or the country where you plan to live someday. Or home can be a feeling you carry inside yourself, wherever you are.
The process of evolution can require you to undergo transformations that uproot you. Moving from place to place can seem to literally divide you from the foundations you have come to depend on. Since your home is so intimately tied to the memories that define you, you may feel that you are losing a vital part of yourself when you leave behind your previous house, city, state, or country. And as it may take some time before you fashion new memories, you may feel homeless even after settling into your new abode. To carry your home with you, you need only become your own foundation. Doing so is merely a matter of staying grounded and centered, and recognizing that the pleasures you enjoyed in one place will still touch your heart in another if you allow them.
Your home can be any space or state of being that fulfills you, provided you are at peace with yourself and your surroundings. A person can feel like home to you, as can seasons and activities. If you feel disconnected from what you once thought of as home, your detachment may be a signal that you are ready to move one. Simply put, you will know you have found your home when both your physical environment and energetic surroundings are in harmony with the individual you are within.



Here are a few cherished spaces that I will hold near and dear...










Thank you for taking the time to hear my story....

Images taken by me 

Comments

  1. I love your blog and all the beautiful pictures.

    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, they mean a lot to me.

    I wish you well during this stressful time; take it easy and don’t over do it.

    And yes, agreed, each person’s home is particular to their own uniqueness, tastes and comfort levels. This is what makes everything so darn interesting don’t you think?

    If we were all the same, and did everything the same way, how boring life would be …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeanne - thanks for your msg -I am sending lots of 'happy moving vibes'! your way...I know only too well the emotions and feelings involved with moving house - especially when it's not just a house you are leaving, but a country, a continent, and setting off for unfamiliar places. I really enjoyed the passage about home - I always carry a shortened version of that with me which is 'Wherever you go, there you are' - similar meaning I think...It's a chicken & egg situation for me, I'm not sure if you carry this feeling of home inside yourself because of moving frequently or if you are able to move across distances because you already have the ability to carry 'home' within yourself? Whichever, I'm sending you very best wishes that everything goes smoothly...Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have obviously loved this home in which you are currently living....and I can see why - it's truly beautiful. Methinks, however, you have a well trained eye for the gorgeous and would recreate an equally welcoming home regardless of location. From your images, what strikes me most are the colours and textures of your furnishings and artwork. You have an obvious gift for "haven making". An hilarious contrast, considering what I've just posted on my blog, not an hour ago!

    Perhaps this new move is another opportunity to make your loving, warm mark in a new environment. Alot of work, I'm sure, but exciting too? Wishing you lots of rest in between packing. Meredith xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so lucky to have such encouraging notes and can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments!
    I am one lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes a lot of living to make a home!
    Gorgeous home and I wish you a very happy move.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling what a lovely blog you have and a new follower...me. Have a wonderful week, I will be back.
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the best with your move, I can see why you hate leaving your lovely home.....you did a beautiful job.
    Think of this move as a fresh start and a chance to try something new.

    Home is definitely where the heart is, I hope your heart LOVES your new place as much as it LOVED your old one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must read more and find out where you're moving to. Or why you're moving. But in any case you've obviously got the right outlook. No need to say that I hope the re-settling in to somewhere else goes well. It surely will! Ange

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....Sigh....Thanks for this one!

    (So true: 'reality checks are neverending.')

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts